I offer a fix for a reasonable price, R550 guaranteed, see below. This page is my reference and a free resource in which I’ve attempted to explain in the simplest way possible something that is rather complex. It is for those who want to do it on their own. If you can’t come right on your own, with these instructions as a guide, do not call me to explain how it works.
Don’t call me if you not prepared to pay, “quick questions” are never “quick”, as I need enough information to make an informed decision and that takes time.
I have not “saved” any tips or tricks. Absolutely everything I use to fix e@syFile is somewhere on this page. Need help but don’t want to pay, then read carefully and post a question if you can’t find an answer or take a look at the e@syFile facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/easyfile/
Are you tired of fighting with e@syFile? Contact me to schedule a time to get it fixed. R550.00 (I am not VAT registered) for a guaranteed fix. No fix, no fee!
First, try to auto update. Open e@syFile, login and when it asks if you want to update click “Yes”. Make sure to do a backup. [If your internet connection is slow, you will need to watch the download as it might timeout.]
- Download 6.9.0 [Google]
- Make sure you have a backup of your data
- Install 6.9.0 – this will install Java 188.8.131.52 32-bit if you don’t already have it installed
- Any error “The application could not be installed” make sure your AV is disabled while installing.
If you have an older version than 6.8.2 or if you get a certificate error, you will need to follow this
- Download 6.9.0 [Google]
- Uninstall all versions of Java [Except if you use FNB & Standard Bank you’ll need 184.108.40.206 32bit] – there is a tool to do this here – If you have a failed Java uninstall, read here, use the Microsoft tool to fix the issue.
- Uninstall your previous version of e@syFile-employer
- Uninstall Adobe Air
- Finally, install 6.9.0 – this will install Java 220.127.116.11 32-bit
- Any error “The application could not be installed” make sure your Anti-virus is disabled while installing.
Creating a backup manually
Be aware, that this is your data & your responsibility. If you are unsure of the instructions, find someone to assist you. Be aware there are multiple ways to do this.
Go into Windows Explorer, in the address bar type %appdata% and hit enter. You will see two e@syFile Employer folders, open the one with the numerical code at the end, you should now see a folder called Local Store, right-click the folder and click Send to>Compressed (zipped) folder it will create an archive in the folder you are in. You can also use a zip tool to select your data and archive. The path to my local store folder is C:\Users\Grant\AppData\Roaming\easyFileEmployer.0612E4541602589CA8807A3EA214FDF182FEF49D.1\Local Store
Manually Restoring a Backup
Be aware, that this is your data & your responsibility. If you are unsure of the instructions, find someone to assist you.
Go into Windows Explorer, in the address bar type %appdata% and hit enter. You will see two e@syFile Employer folders, open the one with the numerical code at the end, you should now see a folder called Local Store, open that. Now you will see your company database/s.
Now open your easyfile backup zip and drag all the files to the Local Store folder, your PC will ask if you want to replace the files, select for all and click OK.
Restoring a single company
You can use the manual restore technique to only restore a single company.
The newsletter will be used to notify people of fixes, new releases or issues.
- Newsletter Subscription – http://eepurl.com/ccuxLn
- eFiling facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/SARSefiling/
Are you having problems with installing SARS e@syFile-employer to your Windows PC, here are some possible fixes, tip’s & tricks to try?
Please send me your fix, if you had an error and you managed to sort it out. I’ll post it for other people’s benefit.
“Not interested in wasting your time on trying to fix e@syFile. I can fix it for you, so you can get on with what is important to you.
I’ve seen too many people waste loads of time and still not come right.” Details at the bottom of the page
ActiveX Internet Explorer Issues
If you find your easyfile.dbz is not opening, it may be an issue with Internet Explorer blocking Java from running. You can test this by opening Internet Explorer and typing the following address in your address bar https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre, you will need to authorise the java for it to run.
This might resolve your issue or you may have to dig a little deeper.
This command may need to be run from an elevated command prompt.
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext" /v VersionCheckEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
EMP201 or EMP501 hangs at 0% error
Disconnect your internet connection. You can do this by removing your network cable or turning off your wireless.
Now start e@syFile, open your company and go to the Notification Centre, it will give you an error.
Now reconnect your internet, it will ask to download the EMP 501, click OK
I’ve often heard people say “e@syFile is not easy!” and that people prefer to do EMP 201 entries in eFiling.
Please be aware that it is from past feedback, that I am able to give assistance, so please let me know if you come right and what you found the issue was.
Ensure that you have backed up your data before attempting any of the following troubleshooting tips.
EMP501 Declaration not displaying
Your EMP501.swf might be corrupt. Exit e@syFile, find the EMP501.swf [The file is in your e@syFile folder under FlexForms.], delete it and then re-start e@syFile, it will install a new copy. If you are still having problems, clear your Temporary files. Google it for your Operating System.
How to create a backup of your e@syFile database
- Click Utilities, under UTILITIES
- Click Database Utilities
- Click Backup DB Directory
- Select a destination folder and click OK
- A message will be displayed indicating that the database backup was successful, click OK
How to restore your e@syFile database, from a backup
- Click Utilities
- Click Database Utilities
- Click Restore
- Select the location from which to restore the database, and select the backup file you want to restore.
- Click Open
The e@syFile Employer login details of the user that created the backup file will be needed when restoring the backup.
User’s and Passwords
Please keep these in a safe place, you will not be able to access your data if you lose your login details.
Passwords require Upper and lower case as well as a number and special character. Just don’t use “&”
Make sure to add a hint, it might come in really handy if you get stuck.
Forgotten your Password
You will always have an ADMIN user as it is an e@syFile default. You can try open e@syFile then put in your username, use ADMIN if in doubt and then click “Forgot Password?” and it will supply the hint you added when you first created the users.
Still stuck, click “Secure Reminder” this will ask you to login to Efiling and supply a password.
What is the latest version of e@syFile
- 6.9.0 [Google], here [Dropbox] or SARS Direct Link (6.9.0 Release Notes, includes previous versions) [17.09.2018]
- 6.8.3 [Google], here [Dropbox] or SARS Direct Link [05.03.2018]
- 6.8.2 [Google], here [Dropbox] or SARS Direct Link [08.12.2017]
- 6.8.1 [Google], here [Dropbox] or SARS Direct Link [22.09.2017]
- 6.8.0 [Google], here [Dropbox] or SARS Direct Link [10.09.2017]
- 6.7.5 or here
- 6.7.4 or here
- 6.7.0 version 0.0.63, released on 19th August 2016. Filesize is 73.0MB
Only runs under Windows, so on an Apple Mac, you will need to run Parallels, Boot Camp or similar. 0.0.63 version number shows up the top-right corner of e@syFile.
- Old 6.6.3-0.1.7, from May 2016
Which JAVA version should I have?
It no longer matter’s whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.
You can have more than one version installed, especially if your online banking requires Java (usually 32-bit) it will usually download the latest version [Just make sure it doesn’t delete the version e@syFile needs when it installs.]
If it doesn’t work: try install Java Runtime Environment (RE) 18.104.22.168 32-bit
What versions of Adobe Reader and Air
I’ve tested up to
Common e@syFile errors
- #3003 / #3004- while trying to load a backed up database, this is due to an invalid version of Java – follow the instructions to install e@syFile properly
If e@syFile™ Employer gets stuck on the “processing” message at start-up or after logging in, JAVA couldn’t successfully perform the decryption process. It’s also possible the incorrect versions could result in error messages (e.g. typical errors #3003 and #3004).
- #3115 – Looks like a company database corruption – You will need to restore a backup. If you have more than 1 company, you will have to restore manually.
- #3123 & #3125 – Looks like it is most likely corrupt easyfile.dbz, restore your most recent backup or another workaround is merging your company database file with a clean e@syFile DB
- #3138 – Happens when e@syFile can’t read your data. This could be caused by a number of things, data corruption or incorrectly configured e@syFile or security settings. Ensure you have installed as described above, that should sort out any Java issues. In Internet Explorer go to Internet Options and clicked on Advanced. Then under the security section turned off SSL 3.0 and turned on TLS 1.0.
- When trying to print out an old or new IRP5 e@syFile gives the error “There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found”. Uncertainty as to the cause but installing Adobe Reader 10.1.16 fixes it. Go here and click to download
- #1009 – This is usually due to missing info or an incorrect character in a field. Essentially e@syFile is expecting something and getting an unexpected result and throws an error. [If you are having the issue under Employees, make sure you have the country under the employee’s address details and then generate the certificate again.]
- #3119 – Database file is currently locked
Connect if Disconnected
- In Internet Options, under the security section turn off SSL 3.0 and turn on TLS 1.0
- Go to Internet Options (Either through Control Panel or from the Tools menu in Internet Explorer). From here, click the connections tab and make sure that Never dial a connection is checked
- Disconnect your internet connection. Now login to e@syFile and open a company, enter the declaration screen and then reconnect your internet.
e@syFile Employer – security certificate error
When trying to log into a taxpayer’s profile, you get the message
“Revocation information for the security certificate for the site is not available. Do you want to proceed, yes or no?”
To fix, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the gear in the upper-right side of the page “Tools” or Alt+X, select “Internet options”
- Choose the “Advanced” tab
- Click “Reset”
- Check the “Delete personal settings” box and click “Reset” to finish
Fix for EMP201 hangs or gets stuck on 100% whilst updating
Thanks to Ryjin: Had endless issues with the EMP 201 update. It stayed stuck on 100% and would NOT let me into e@syFile. Best way to get around this is to: logon without an internet connection. Enter the declaration screen and then reconnect your internet!! This will update accordingly and you will finally be able to work!! Yay!!
This can also be a permissions issue, you need to make sure EMP201.swf is writable, it is in the \Local Store\FlexForms folder. Look below for more information on the sata store location for the different versions of Windows.
Setting up easyFile EMP201 to work with eFiling
In order to make use of the EMP201 function on e@syFile™ Employer, you need to ensure that your EMP201 is registered and activated on your eFiling profile. You also need to make sure your user rights are set up correctly so that you can submit and pay your EMP201 using e@syFile™ Employer. You must synchronise your e@syFile Employer information with your SARS eFiling website profile. Once your SARS eFiling profile is setup, and the relevant EMP201 reference number activated, synchronise the software.
Does your PC have multiple drives or partitions?
Ensure that you install to the C:\ drive, huh, yeah! you heard me. You need to ensure that you install SARS e@syFile Employer AND Java to your C:\ drive. [This will only show up on PC’s with multiple drives or drive partitions.] You can do this by selecting the Advanced checkbox when installing Java, and selecting your install location when prompted.
Windows 7, easyFile database location
The EasyFile.dbz database is stored in “C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\easyFileEmployer.???\Local Store\”
The ??? is a unique number string for your PC.
Windows 8, 8.1 & 10, easyfile database location
Folder is C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\easyFileEmployer.???\Local Store\
The ??? is a unique number string for your PC.
Easyfile login issues
You won’t believe it – your efiling password can use an ‘&’ but e@syFile doesn’t like it. So eFiling is fine with the ‘&’ sign but not e@syFile. The staff at SARS helpline (0860-12-12-18) directed me to click on “secure reminder”. Use your SARS efiling login name and password. Their system then generated a password that worked.
Adobe Air Installation Issues
Having problems with your machine saying you need Administrator permissions to install Adobe Air. Got to the following page, download the Microsoft Fix and run it, select the appropriate responses and then try install again.
Final Straw – Reached the end of your tether – I can help fix easyfile
- Have you read through the whole thread and still can’t get easyfile working?
- or just can’t be bothered wasting your time
I offer a guaranteed service to get easyfile up and running for R550 or [R1100 after hours] (I’m not a VAT vendor). Payment due on completion of repair.
It takes me from 15 min to 2 hours to get easyfile working.
Here’s how I work
- Call or email me to explain your issue and arrange a time to repair. I prefer a phone call as I can run through questions to get a clearer picture of the issue.
- If you have TeamViewer installed, skip to step 3, to get TeamViewer.com, click the green “Download TeamViewer” button. Install the software making sure you select “for personal use”.
- Send me the TeamViewer ID and password, the password changes each time you reboot so only send 30 minutes before the scheduled repair time. You can give me these details via phone, email, sms or WhatsApp.
- I’ll get onto your PC and get easyfile to the point where you can open your files.
- You send me your billing details
- I’ll send you an invoice
- You pay
I have a 95% success rate. Mainly because I don’t give up until it’s fixed. The most hassle I’ve had was with a Mac running Windows 7 under Parallel’s and the database backup turned out to be corrupted.
How much time have you wasted getting easyfile 6.6.2 working?