Are you having problems with your web-browser, just wanting a better browser experience or you need a really great web development tool?
I think it’s time you gave Firefox a try. I’m sure you’ll at least like it…
My Story: “in 2008 I needed a portable web-browser and mail client for my Flashdisk, I came across Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and was only going to use them temporarily.
Not so easy, once I had started using Firefox and I went back to IE6, I missed the way Firefox worked and the ability plug-ins give it to be customised for every need.
Since then I have been converting all my clients, friends and family across.
Switch today it’s a tiny download and your out of the Microsoft exploitation loop. ”
Firefox is a built for speed, security & standards compliancy. It has received rave reviews from PC World, PC Magazine, USA Today, Wired Magazine & cnet.
Why use Mozilla Firefox!
[Firefox is now in a rapid development cycle, similar to Google Chrome, so it updates often and not all your add-ons will be compatible with the latest version.]
- Open-source & Free
- Reasonably Compact, <20MB download
- Not Microsoft
- Tabbed browsing at it’s best
- Secure online browsing
- Plugins to do just about anything you can think of with your browser
- Now available for Android!
- Browse to http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/
- Choose the download link appropriate for the operating system on which you’ll be running Firefox, Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X. [or visit http://firefox.com/m on your cellphone for the mobile version]
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Double-click on the file you just downloaded to start the installation wizard.
- Click “Next” on each step of the wizard until the program is installed.
- If you like, you can set Firefox to be your default browser, instead of Internet Explorer.
- Start up Firefox, and browse happy.
- Author: Mozilla
- Current Version: >19
- Price: Free
Like Firefox then get Thunderbird [e-mail client].
My Favourite Firefox Add-ons/Plugins
Absolute Must Haves
Web Developer - If you are a developer or just want to be able to see how a site is put together. You can even play with a site’s css to see how it’s put together.
Google Page Speed - You need Firebug installed
YSlow - needs Firebug, shows how heavy a page (Y it’s Slow) is and gives some advice to speed downloads.
Quirk SearchStatus - SEO tool, assists in seeing a pages possible seach engine ranking.
Dust-Me - helps you find unused CSS selectors in your site.
Fireshot - Creates screenshots of websites
SEOQuake - SEO tools
X-Ray - Show HTML tags in the same window, no more switching from source view to page and back.